b-hebrew - RE: Pelest? and Hyksos

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: Pelest? and Hyksos
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 18:25:49 +0000

On Wed 2 Feb 2000 (10:04:23 +0100), npl AT teol.ku.dk wrote:
> [Niels Peter Lemche]
> Like the habiru/ibri (I still stay with this linguistic
> identification in spite of the phonetic problem about the long vowel),
> meaning most likely refugees, i.e. people that have transgressed a border
> ('-b-r)? However, their identity was strong enough to warrant a continuous
> namegiving to a specific territory, in the end all of 'Palestine'. And when
> speaking about identity, Hebrew plst(im) seems very much the same as the
> Egyptian plst, or for the matter the modern Arabic filistin.

Dear Niels,

This is the point I was trying to make. Modern Israel is called Palestine
by the present-day Palestinians; but there is no continuity of the
Philistines P:Li$:TiYM of the HB and the inhabitants of the Gaza Strip
and West Bank, etc. The present-day Palestinians arrived slowly over the
centuries from all over the Near East as immigrants. Strictly speaking, the
modern Israelis are the latest immigrant P:Li$:TiY group to arrive there.

Thank you very much for the material about the Sea People.

Could I please make a request? You start each of your paragraphs
with
an ASCII [09] character. The effect of this is to prevent the whole of the
line following the [09] from appearing on my Email display. There are
ways in which I can edit these out and achieve a lacuna-free text; but
could you please drop your ASCII [09] paragraph marker? Thank you.

> The discussion around these subjects has been quite interesting. I
> have saved most of it for the sake of my students. It will be fun to see
> whether they can deconstruct it into its separate elements and find the
> governing motives behind the various positions taken by the participants in
> this discussion.

Hmmmm. We can all play this game, Niels! 8-) As a functioning Preacher,
and not a practising Scholar, my faith-stance must be obvious to all on the
List. As is yours. I take liberty to wonder if, in say 50 years' time,
the "Copenhagen School" will be as studied a phenomenon as, say, the 19th
century "Tuebingen School" still is?

Our students' students will know. Their evaluation will be securer than ours.

Ben
--
Revd Ben Crick, BA CF
<ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk>