b-hebrew - Re: Gen 22:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gen 22:14
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 22:48:43 -0700

Noel,

Regarding Gen. 22:14 and the translation of the place name 'The Lord will provide' This has always been a problematic verse. I am wondering, is it possible that the words yhwh yr'h can be interpreted along the lines of 'fear Yahweh' or 'Be afraid of Yahweh'

Sorry, won't work. For this to be a construct phrase of the type you suggest the words would have to be in the reverse order and there would be no explanation for the *he* on the end of yr'h.

As I am a Hebrew novice I apologize in advance if my question is stupid, but the link with the verb yr'h (to be afraid) and the context of the story seem to merit some link.

Not stupid at all! But the verb is yr' without the h, and the form of this word strongly suggests that it's from r'h rather than yr'.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
                                   Psalm 86:11

  • Gen 22:14, Noel O'Riordan, 02/01/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Gen 22:14, Ben Crick, 02/01/2000
    • Re: Gen 22:14, Dave Washburn, 02/02/2000

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.24.