b-hebrew - Re: Re[4]: Date of the Exodus (still shorter)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Charles David Isbell" <cisbell AT home.com>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <peter_kirk AT sil.org>, <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Re[4]: Date of the Exodus (still shorter)
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 14:47:52 -0600

Shalom again, Peter:

Thanks for your posting. I appreciate your formulation. To bring this to
a point of "mostly" agreement, may I make only two short notations:
[1] I am out of my depth when the discussion turns to complicated things
(for me) like ontology and epistemology. Your explanation sounds to an
amateur like it has much to commend it.
[2] Let me work on my question a bit. I do not think any unique event a
"miracle." I think it merely a unique event. However, the ex post facto
interpretation of the event may be to view it as a miracle (as the case in
the recovery of Dave's father from a serious illness), as the biblical
narrators apparently did. So far, I think we agree. But I am asking
something quite specific. How does the POSITING of a volcano as the true
cause behind what Exodus calls the "strong hand [of YHWH]" advance the ball
towards the goal line?

Again, I have enjoyed our exchange. Kol Tuv Lekha, Gam le-MishpacHah.
Charles