b-hebrew - Date of Exodus

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Banyai Michael" <banyai AT t-online.de>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: Date of Exodus
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 15:22:16

Peter Kirk schrieb:

> Dear Banyai Michael,
>
> Thsnk you for this suggestion. I remember seeing this theory put
> forward many years ago, in "Reader's Digest" of all places; most of
> the plagues of Egypt could be attributed to the results of the
> eruption of Thera. But I'm not so sure about your pillar of fire -
> surely it was in the wrong direction?

Well, this a quite old suggestion of a certain Galanopoulos made already in
the
60-ties.
I see no complication in "seeing" the eruption from Egypt. Most imagine
the
eruption as a vertical outburst, which of course beacause of the curvature
of
the earth wouldn´t be sighted from more than say 300 km. It was however an
oblical spit, call it cloud if you preferr, droping till Egypt on a
parabolic trace Theran ashes.

Because of the Tyndall phaenomen could such a dark cloud have been seen as
very
hell during the night.
It is another matter to date the Exodus.
However the behaviour of an eruption very well conforms the biblical
description in the Exodus. It could describe an outburst energy getting in
steps
weaker and weaker. I mean with this following:
first contact - the red died Nile - the outburst lands beyond Lower Egypt,
observed only as red oxide aluvions as it reaches the delta
next contact - a lapilli shower - the heavier agregates reach the zone
before
the slower ashes, but the parabole is shorter, less outburst energy, it
reaches
Lower Egypt
next contact - total darkness - light ashes reach the zone
next contact - fire pillar - the outburst falls into the sea.

> It is interesting that your dating ties up closely with the
> conventional dating of Pharaoh Dudimose of the 13th dynasty, whom
> David Rohl identifies as the Pharaoh of the Exodus (though Rohl
> redates him to the 15th century). Rohl also quotes from Manetho as
> quoted by Josephus: "Tutimaos [Dudimose]. In his reign, for what cause
> I know not, a blast of God smote us". This "blast of God" could well
> describe the eruption of Thera as well as the plagues. But Rohl does
> not make the link to Thera, perhaps because it does not fit with his
> datings; he quotes evidence from Tell ed-Daba dating the eruption of
> Thera to the early 18th dynasty ("A Test of Time" p.386).

Well indeed. But I need no alteration of the Egyptian chronology. At least
no
significant. BTW the Exodus is known perhaps to the Greek as the flight of
Danaos.
The Danaid story is perhaps also preserved by the Bible in a by Jerobeam
mutilated
version, as story of Dinah. This part of the Genesis conglomerates a number
of stories where the former Egyptian protagonist was propaganistically
replaced.
For example the destruction of Sichem by the alied Israelites instead of
the Egyptians. This is clearly a fake since Judges presents still the same
regnal family in Sichem, accepted as protector of the local Jahwe temple.
But Sesostris III has a raid against the Sichemim together with Retenu.

Best regards,

Banyai Michael
Leonberg
Banyai AT t-online.de

  • Date of Exodus, Banyai Michael, 01/28/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Date of Exodus, Banyai Michael, 01/28/2000