b-hebrew - Re: Exodus and the Hyksos

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Exodus and the Hyksos
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 06:25:21 -0700

Jonathan Safren wrote in part:
> You also can't be sure that the Judges ruled one after the other, i.e.,
> consecutively.
> Behind each Judges narrative stands the story of a local chieftain. Youu
> can see that
> by which tribes participate in which wars. So it is more probable that many
> of the
> Judges were contomporaneous.

My article on this topic in Bibliotheca Sacra (details are on my web
page at www.nyx.net/~dwashbur/cv.html) shows that this was
indeed the case. There's a lot of overlap as well as a lot of regional
activity. Some will be annoyed that I implicitly take the Judges
text as portraying real events, but that's their problem :-) The part
about the chronology may interest the participants in this part of
the discussion.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
Psalm 86:11