b-hebrew - SV: Date of the Exodus (still shorter)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: 'Banyai Michael' <banyai AT t-online.de>
  • Cc: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: SV: Date of the Exodus (still shorter)
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 11:20:45 +0100

It does not seem to be very difficult to understand, and why it should be ad
hominem...please spell it to me, I cannot see it.

Again, instead of moving into a serious discussion, Mr. Banyai tries ti
evade the issues by intrucing elements to it that have nothing to do with
the essence of the question.

But to be serious, since it seems so difficult to understand: The Thera
eruption happened arond the time proposed. I cannot recollect from recent
discussions the exact date, and it has been moved a little to and fro, also
depending on the evidence from Greenland. never mind, it resulted in a
tsunami that hit Crete some hours later, but as far as I got it from some
other mail, this was not the end of the Minoan civilization as imagined only
a few years ago when people talked about a tsunami of a hundred meters; now
it is down to something maneable, was it 10-30 m? What effect the tsunami
according to the last mentioned calculation would have had in the Levant is
questionable, it would probably hardly be noticeable. So to relate Thera to
the crossing of the Yam Suf makes no sense (even with the giant tsunami of
the past, its effect along the Levantine coast would be almost impossible to
measure).

But apart from all thse kinds of speculation, it demands a coincidence:
Moses and his people turning up at the right spot at exactly the right
moment..it's too much of a coincidence for a historian to be serious about
it. So nothing ad hominem here, but certainly an argumentation that make the
position of the opposite party look pretty, should we say unwarranted. If Mr
Banyai think that this is ad hominem, he will probably consider any attack
on his ideas 'ad hominem'.

NPL