b-hebrew - Re: Genesis and Greek Parallels

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Genesis and Greek Parallels
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 19:16:38 -0500

Dear Walter,

You haven't really answered my question. I will comment on just one
point here. You allege that there are no Mesopotamian parallels to the
Eden story. David Rohl (sorry to bring him up so much!), quoting S.N.
Kramer, points out that this commonly stated point is just not true.
For example, he points out that in Sumerian tales man was formed from
clay but the female Nin-ti was formed from the rib of Enki. And of
course other parallels between early parts of Genesis and Gilgamesh
etc are well established. That there are Greek parallels also is not
surprising, but tells us little about dating. After all, Aegean myths
could have come to Canaan much earlier e.g. with the Philistines.
Sorry, case still not proven.

Peter Kirk