b-hebrew - Re: Genesis and Gilgamesh/Exod 15

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: John Ronning <ronning AT nis.za>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Genesis and Gilgamesh/Exod 15
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 10:27:24 +0200

Ben asked for:

> author, book, publisher,
> date and page reference

James Sauer, "The River Runs Dry", Biblical Archaeological
Review July/August 96 pp. 52

A geologists was trying to figure out where the abundant
granite and basalt pebbles in Kuwait came from, and noted
that a likely source was the Hijaz mountains in western
Saudi Arabia (one of the common identifications of Havilah,
where Gen 2 put the Pishon River), and when he looked at
satellite photos he found the dried up (estimated to be dry
since about 3000 BC) river bed.

The source of the river checks out also with the description
of Havilah "the gold of that land is good". Good indeed -
near the ancient river source is the "cradle of gold" a mine
rediscovered a few decades ago and still producing 5 tons of
gold a year.

(a good example of why Niels told us not to read BAR)

I posted this information about a year ago, at which time
Ian also tried to smear it by associating it with the name
of that swindler David Rohl, just as he is doing now -
reminds me of remarks made recently about "flawed
methodologies" (ignoring inconvenient facts).

On another thread, for those who think Exodus 15 presumes
that the temple has been built, I'd call your attention to
Psalm 114:1-2 " When Israel came out of Egypt, the house of
Jacob from a people of foreign tongue, Judah became God's
sanctuary, Israel his dominion." So Exodus 15
applies even if a temple was never built, (and Israel had a
king since the exodus, as Exod 15:18 [The Lord will reign
forever and ever] and Num 23:21 [The shout of the King is
among them] also show).

Regards,

John Ronning