b-hebrew - Re: Ur of the Chaldees

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: Walter Mattfeld <mattfeld AT mail.pjsnet.com>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Ur of the Chaldees
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 21:34:12 +0200

Walter Mattfeld wrote:

> I checked my copy of Ran Zadok's Geographical Names According to New- and
> Late-Babylonian Texts (Wiesbaden, 1985), looking for any thing like
> Ur-Kasdim (English: Ur of the Chaldees) without any success. This book is a
> compilation of geographical sites culled from cuneiform tablets dating from
> the 10th century BCE to the 1st century CE.

[JSafren] Have you looked at the series Repertoire Geographique des Textes
Cuneiformes? One of them, I believe the one about the Middle Babylonian or
Middle
Assyrian Period, in any case about the period after the First Dynasty of
Babylon,
mentions 4 cities named Ur, though one of these is UR4 (number in subscript).

Yours,
--
Jonathan D. Safren
Dept. of Biblical Studies

  • Ur of the Chaldees, Walter Mattfeld, 01/20/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Ur of the Chaldees, Jonathan D. Safren, 01/20/2000