b-hebrew - Gen 1:1 Grammar

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: Peter Kirk <peter_kirk AT sil.org>, Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Gen 1:1 Grammar
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 11:09:57 -0500

Dear Peter,
I do not know how one could do a computer search for such a construction, but
I will
offer the following as examples. This manual searching is very time
consuming, so I
will give only these following examples that I was able to find in about an
hour.
Gen 3:5 "in the day of your eating it your eyes will be opened." BeYOM does
not
have the article because it is in construct (like BeReShiT in Gen. 1:1). This
temporal phrase is followed by a WaW (weqatal). (Contrast with Gen.2:17)
Others are:
Exodus 32:34 "in the day I visit I will visit upon them their sin." (Contrast
with
Lev. 25:9)
Ex. 6:28-29 & 16:5 seem to be applicable, even though preceded by HYH,
especially
when you contrast them with 16:22, 27, and Lev. 9:1, 14:9
Num 7:1
Deut 27:2 (contrast the similar construction in Deut 21:16, but without waw)
Josh 6:15
Ruth 4:5
1 Sam 13:22
1 Ki 2:37
1 Ki 2:42
Psalm 138:3
Eccl 12:3-4
Isa 14:3-4
Isa 22:20 & 23:15 (contrast with Isa 24:21, 27:12,13)
Hosea 1:5 (contrast with 2:23)
Amos 3:14
Micah 5:9 (contrast with Hosea 2:18)
Lev 7:16b And on the morrow (waw) the remainder of it shall be eaten.
Gen 19:15 And when morning dawned, (waw) the angels urged Lot . . .

--

Lee R. Martin
Pastor, Prospect Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee