b-hebrew - Re: Gilgamesh and such

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gilgamesh and such
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 15:53:56 +0200

Dave Washburn wrote:

> > Niels Peter Lemche wrote:
> >
> > > And according to Exod 15, the exodus only stopped when they entered the
> > > mountain of God, i.e. when the temple was built.
>
> This seems like quite a leap to me. I don't see where entering the
> "mountain of God" is equivalent to "when the temple was built."
> Several expressions are used in close proximity in this poem, and
> that plus the fact that it is a poem should give us a little pause
> when it comes to trying to identify specifics.

It's 1 Kings (I forget chapter and verse) that identifies Exodus and
completion of the
Temple, saying that Solomon completed the Temple 480 years after the Exodus.
So the
Song of the Sea is really in the same line of tradition. If you think about
it, the
Divine Promise to the Patriarchs really reaches its culmination and
conclusion with
the completion of the Temple, which gives us the terminus a quo for the Divine
covenatn tradition.
Sincerely,

--
Jonathan D. Safren
Dept. of Biblical Studies

  • Re: Gilgamesh and such, Dave Washburn, 01/20/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Gilgamesh and such, Jonathan D. Safren, 01/20/2000