b-hebrew - RE: Molech or Molech a god or a sacrifice

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Brian Sullivan" <navillusbpi AT primus.com.au>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: RE: Molech or Molech a god or a sacrifice
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 22:55:59

Lorraine asked if anyone replied to my question.

Answer: No!!!!
Not a bite. Sorry.

So, in the spirit of ‘seek and ye shall find” I once again ask: Alan Lloyd
in his book 'Destroy Carthage - the death throes of an ancient culture’
claims that the term Molech/Moloch refers not to a god (the Carthaginian
god Baal Hammon) but a sacrifice. Is this correct. What is the derivation
of this phrase?

Unfortunately, no scholarly evidence is presented with his statement, hence
I am asking if there is a scholarly opinion on this matter, or perhaps is
there a diverse, range of ideas? Even pointing me in the right direction
would be appreciated.

My original question is repinted below.

Thankyou Lorraine, for your interest, and in advance I wish to thank any
kind enough to contribute to this thread.

Brian Sullivan
Navillusbpi AT primus.com.au