b-hebrew - Molech or Molech a god or a sacrifice

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Brian Sullivan" <navillusbpi AT primus.com.au>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: Molech or Molech a god or a sacrifice
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 11:8:21

Greetings to all

Alan Lloyd in his book 'Destroy Carthage - the death throes of an ancient
culture'writes of the Carthaginian god Baal Hammon. The Carthaginians
decended from the Biblical Phonicians and this god is remembered in the
Bible as Molech or Moloch.
Atleast that is what I understand. However Mr. Lloyd clames that Baal
Hammon is wrongly called Moloch as this word refers to 'a sacrificial
offering, not a god' (p93 ibid).

Does anyone have any information on the Hebrew derivation of the term
Moloch? For the record, he writes of the evidence of the child sacrifice
that the OT speaks of in Baal Hammons worship.

I would be very grateful of clarification of this word that research may
have now revealed.

Very Sincerely,

Brian Sullivan
navillusbpi AT primus.com.au