b-hebrew - Re[2]: Serpent Seed Doctrine and Twins

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: Serpent Seed Doctrine and Twins
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 12:06:35 -0500

The idea of Cain and Abel being twins seems an interesting and
plausible explanation of the rather odd WATTOSEP LALEDET at the
beginning of 4:2, though I have a feeling this idea was discussed and
rejected on this list a year or so ago - can anyone remember those
arguments? But I think it would be stretching credibility to suggest
that the birth of Cain was not the result of Adam "knowing" Eve; the
language may literally mean sequence but surely implies also a chain
of cause and effect. The start of 4:1 (the QATAL verb) could be
interpreted as a flashback, so that the conception could have taken
place in the garden, at the same time as the taking of the fruit (and
the language there could be in part symbolic and euphemistic for the
sex act). But I don't think we can get away from Adam being the
biological father of Cain. Anyway, Cain seems to have been fully
human, physically, not half snake.

Peter Kirk