b-hebrew - Re[6]: historiography: Babylonian Chronicle tc.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • Cc: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[6]: historiography: Babylonian Chronicle tc.
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2000 16:29:29 -0500

Dear NPL,

Thank you for your helpful reply. Well, one would hardly expect
Sennacherib to mention YHWH's angel or even admit to a defeat, would
you? Kings and Sennacherib give different sides of the same story. And
I remember Herodotus wrote something about a plague destroying
Sennacherib's army. I mentioned Shishak/Sheshonq as about the only
external point of reference (apart from the name Omri) for the first
half of Kings (what is now 1 Kings). But there is significantly more
for the second half, because we move into a generally better attested
period. I am not trying to suggest that there is more than one
document here or anything like that (doubtless others can argue that
one if they wish to).

As for the missing Babylonian Chronicles, I suppose we have to assume
that Babylon suddenly disappeared off the face of the earth in 590
because there are no more records from it? ;-)

Peter Kirk