b-hebrew - Re: Competence in Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Competence in Hebrew
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 21:08:17 EST

In a message dated 12/30/99 8:40:06 PM Central Daylight Time,
data7201 AT aol.com writes:

<< Greetings to all on the B-Hebrew List.
Looking back, if you had to learn hebrew again and had to learn it on your
own, how would you proceed? What would you do to reach what you would call
competence in the language? What about Grammatical/Exegetical skills? Just
how would you proceed-- Looking Back.

I think there is a problem in learning a language such as Hebrew which we
don't have with modern languages (that's leaving out modern Hebrew for the
moment). That being that it's not easy to learn in the optimal way. When I
learned French, German, Dutch, Spanish, I could sit down and read passages
and simply try to make sense out of them without looking up every word to be
certain I was absolutely correct. I got an anthology and just read. This
stood me in good stead on the GSFLT exam. If modern Hebrew is sufficiently
close to Biblical Hebrew (and I don't know if it is or not), this could be an
approach to follow.

How about it, you guys who know modern Hebrew. Is it close enough?
gfsomsel