b-hebrew - Re: Translation of Piel(and Pual) roots

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bill Burks <rwburks AT flash.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Translation of Piel(and Pual) roots
  • Date: Sat, 25 Dec 1999 20:54:01 -0600

Yochanan,

Thanks for your email concerning the Piel, Pual roots. When I chose the word
qittel
for my example it was probably a bad one. The word is used by some as an
example for
verb charts.

My concern really had to do with the nature of the roots themselves. Bryan
seems to
have gotten the jest of what I was asking. It makes since that the hearer of
the word
would associate a particular meaning with that particular root in a
particular stem.

I understand that some roots are not used in all stems some are only found in
one. I
was trying to understand the stem system when a word shows up in the text in
more than
one root.

Since qittel is not found in BH it did not have a meaning associated with it.
So I
should have found a different word on which to base my question. Thanks for
your
response

Shalom,

Bill Burks

  • Re: Translation of Piel(and Pual) roots, Bill Burks, 12/25/1999