b-hebrew - Translation of Piel (and Pual) roots

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: rwburks AT flash.net
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Translation of Piel (and Pual) roots
  • Date: 24 Dec 99 14:08:54 -0600

Hello,

I was curious about Piel roots. Most beginning grammars deal with Qal roots
and then
mention the other roots in passing. Mainly teaching the form. Some of them
speak of the
Piel root as being an intense Qal and might really best be translated with
the addition of an
adverb. Using the Perfect Piel for example the use of Piel with the 3ms form
of Piel for the
word Q+L might be translated "he brutally killed." Some treat it as
causative almost like a
Hifil. Other grammars indicated that the Piel root (and for that matter the
Pual root, while
being the passive) speak of the resultive or factive nature of the stem. The
same word with a
transitive would require an object like "he killed Tom". Or if intransitive
it would be with no
object "He killed" . The latter it seems would be difficult to distinguish
from the Qal form to
me. (Of course I understand in Pual that the action is being done to the
subject hence "He
was brutally killed" etc.

What does the use of Piel and Pual really tell me about the nature of how it
should be
translated.

Regards,

Bill Burks