b-hebrew - Re[6]: Melchizedek (More Dave) (Peter's response)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[6]: Melchizedek (More Dave) (Peter's response)
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 11:53:08 -0500

Dear Niels Peter,

Thank you for your contribution. Maybe Ian and I confused you, but the
point you are commenting on is Ian's not mine. For it seems that Ian
is happy to follow the principle you make here when he is trying to
knock down anyone else's arguments, but doesn't allow it to be applied
to his own arguments.

I take your point and Diebner's, and I have to accept that we cannot
prove beyond a shadow of doubt that anything is older than the
earliest manuscript we possess of it. Yes, Ian has actually persuaded
me of that point. So what can we do? We can give up and go home, or we
can work on the balance of probabilities, which for some may be tipped
by their personal faith. But surely there is a difference between the
balance of probabilities and guesswork?

To oversimplify, there are three main hypotheses around for the
composition of the bulk of the Hebrew Bible as we know it:

1) The Copenhagen approach, if I may correctly so call it, that most
was written in the 2nd century BCE, or not long before;

2) The traditional scholarly approach of dating books over a range
from roughly the 8th to the 4th century;

3) The evangelical approach, attributing the Pentateuch to Moses and
dating other books as more-or-less contemporary records.

Approach 2) has been rightly criticised as lacking real evidence. The
problem to me is that I have not seen any real evidence for approach
1) (but then I have not read your books, I am afraid). I know that
approach 3) cannot be proved, but at least it has the possible
evidence of the self-attribution of the books and of ancient
tradition, and also some support from the archaeological record
(although that is of course also dubious). So I see no good reason to
abandon approach 3), though I have to admit that one reason for
preferring it is the presuppositions of my personal faith.

Peter Kirk