b-hebrew - Re: JEDP (Melchizedek)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: JEDP (Melchizedek)
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 19:46:49 -0700

Ian wrote:
> At 19.49 19/12/99 +0200, Jonathan D. Safren wrote:
> >The Melchizedek incident of Gen. 14 is not referred to; but Melchizedek
> >is, in Ps. 110.
>
> Yes, Jonathan, I did refer to Ps. 110 specifically as not appearing at
> Qumran being part of a group that has no presence.

And you're wrong. Psalm 110 does not appear thus far in the
published texts, but cave 4 has yielded all but 106, 107, 110, 111
and 117. Even absence from the Psalms scroll of cave 11 can't be
pushed too far, because it is a very unusual scroll and certainly
can't be taken to indicate that they were or were not familiar with a
particular psalm or group of psalms. Thus, absence of Psalm 110
from Qumran (at least as far as we know until DJD 16 comes out)
is meaningless for this discussion.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
Psalm 86:11