b-hebrew - Re[2]: JEDP (Mo & Deut)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jonathan Bailey <jonathan.bailey AT gmx.de>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew list <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: JEDP (Mo & Deut)
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 20:16:29 +0100

Well, somebody had to bring Deuteronomy sooner of later. Anyway, are you just
trying
to expand our discussion about sources in Genesis to Torah as a whole, or are
you
trying to steer us to a new conversation about whether Moses wrote the Torah?
Anyway, in my statements about Genesis, I was really just speaking about the
final
redacteur, though making no secret of my beliefs. I was, however saying
"Moses (or
whoever)" as a general term for the final author/redacteur of Genesis. I did
not mean
to make my personal beliefs about Moses a central point in the conversation,
but
rather was pointing to a single author/redacteur. But sometimes I just got
lazy and
wrote "Moses".

Anyway, about Deuteronomy, I know that book is a headache for
fundamentalists, and
do intend to concern myself with the issue at some point, but I have to say
again that
I am still working on my MA and am quite busy aquiring skills of the trade
and
familiarizing myself with literature, etc. Get back to me in about 6 months,
that is, if I
can steal myself away from my Syriac class and Peshitta studies next semester.
Right now, the only thing I have time for outside of my studies is Genesis.

At any rate, though I have my beliefs, I am not really prepared to defend
Mosaic
authorship of ANY book at this point. I am more concerned with whether not
they have
been redacted and edited, how this was done, etc.

Jonathan Bailey
Hochschule für Jüdische Studien
Heidelberg