b-hebrew - Re[2]: Sabbath Origins (Stephen)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: Sabbath Origins (Stephen)
  • Date: Sun, 05 Dec 1999 16:54:50 -0500

Not true. If I say that "Friday is the Germanic word for the fifth day
of the week", I don't exclude English, because English is a Germanic
language, and this word (in slightly different forms) is common to the
Germanic languages. Language names can be generic, or used
generically, to cover all of the languages in a group of related
languages. There is no doubt that Hebrew is a language related to
Syriac/Aramaic or perhaps counted in the group of languages spoken in
Syria.

Peter Kirk