b-hebrew - Re: Death and Deception in Genesis 2-3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Death and Deception in Genesis 2-3
  • Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 14:08:09 -0500

George, I wonder if you are trying to push the idiom B:YOM too far in
order to protect God from the charge of deception. After all, one
might naively argue, either God or the snake was right, and if the
snake was not the deceiver, perhaps God was? On the other hand, we see
many cases throughout the canon where God predicts that he will send
death and disaster but afterwards relents - do we take his mercy as
deceit? See for example Exodus 32:10, Numbers 14:12, Jonah 3:4 - all
God's unfulfilled intentions of bringing death. The same idea occurs
in Genesis 6:7-8, 18:16-33. So in the biblical narratives, although
God of course not a liar, he is one who relents of bringing disasters
which he has predicted.

So I would prefer to take it that God relented in his mercy (which
possibly the snake had foreseen, as later Jonah did, 4:2), rather than
stretch B:YOM (which means "at the time", not "at an indefinite time
later"!) to 900 years or take the death as somehow spiritual only.

Peter Kirk