b-hebrew - RE: Re[2]: tohu vabohu (was: Re: new subscriber)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jeffery R. Condit" <kcondit AT attglobal.net>
  • To: <peter_kirk AT sil.org>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Re[2]: tohu vabohu (was: Re: new subscriber)
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 12:41:50 -0500

Peter Kirk suggested a thought on "tohu webohu" (Gen. 1:2). Perhaps an
English near equivalent might be "helter-skelter."

I've often wondered about the history of the knowledge of Hebrew (and other
ancient languages). In English, isn't Gesenius sort of a father of Hebrew
lexica? If there there a genealogy of lexica that one can trace? How did
we come to the "modern" understanding of the meaning of a word like "bohu?"

Thanks,

Jeff

  • RE: Re[2]: tohu vabohu (was: Re: new subscriber), Jeffery R. Condit, 11/30/1999