b-hebrew - Re[2]: tohu vabohu (was: Re: new subscriber)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: <michaelwm AT earthlink.net>
  • Subject: Re[2]: tohu vabohu (was: Re: new subscriber)
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 19:43:18 -0500

Another thought on "tohu webohu", espcially as the second word occurs
only in close relationship with the first. In Azerbaijani, I think in
Farsi, and also in Russian as spoken in Azerbaijan, there is a common
colloquial idiom in which a word is repeated with its first consonant
replaced by "m" on the second occurrence, with the meaning "and that
sort of thing". The second word is thus actually a nonsense word if
taken separately. For example, "harj" means "disorder" (weakened in
Arabic from the Hebrew HRG = "kill"), and "harj-marj" means "time of
disorder, chaos, anarchy"; and I heard "Andrey-mandrei" meaning
"Andrei and people like him".

Could it be that this sort of thing, which can easily spread from
language to language as I have seen, may be happening with "b"
(another bilabial consonant) rather than "m" in Hebrew? This would
make "bohu" actually a nonsense word, and the hendiadys "tohu webohu"
would be a close equivalent of "harj-marj".

Peter Kirk