b-hebrew - Re: tohu vabohu (was: Re: new subscriber)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: tohu vabohu (was: Re: new subscriber)
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 09:51:17 -0500

Dear Armando,
One of the problems with Doukhan's work, as well as several other studies of
Gen. 1 -11, is that they ignore Genesis as a creative whole. Gen 1 may be
studied individually from a form-critical point of view, as may Gen 2, the
flood story, the tower of Babel, etc. The history/stages of the text may
also be investigated. But when we begin to compare Gen 1 to Gen 2 in
their present form, then we must consider the composition of the entire
book of Genesis. Gen 1-2 does not exist as a literary work apart from the
rest of Genesis.
Lee R. Martin