b-hebrew - Re: Typology

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: John Ronning <ronning AT nis.za>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Typology
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 07:47:00 +0200

Jim West wrote:

> Again, since Moses never entered the land how exactly was he to do this.
> Again, your citation does not support your notion that Moses did these
> things- for he did not.

Which is what I said in my first post on this subject - both
Moses and Elijah were given a commission which was left to
their respective successors to fulfill.

> >1 Kings 19:17 "It shall come about, the one who escapes from
> >the sword of Hazael, Jehu shall put to death, and the one
> >who escapes from the sword of Jehu, Elisha shall put to
> >death. 18 "Yet I will leave 7,000 in Israel, all the knees
> >that have not bowed to Baal and every mouth that has not
> >kissed him."
> >
> >Do you disagree that the victims in view here are
> >Israelites?
> >

> Yes I do disagree. There are folk killed- but they arent israelites.

There is no question that the victims of Hazael are
Israelites acc. to 2 Kings 8:10
Hazael said, "Why does my lord weep?" Then he answered,
"Because I
know the evil that you will do to the sons of Israel: their
strongholds you will
set on fire, and their young men you will kill with the
sword, and their little
ones you will dash in pieces, and their women with child you
will rip up."

re. my answer to your question of where types aren't -

> You still have not answered. You are merely being evasive.

I'll stick with my answer - what would be the point of
compiling a list of places where typology is not used?

Another nice example is in Exodus 2, the birth narrative of
Moses. The mother of Moses puts him in a little "ark,"
which she waterproofs much like Noah's (the word is used
only here and in the flood narrative), and he is saved from
drowning (the decreed fate of the Hebrew male babies) as
Noah and his family were also.

Further typological connections are apparent when one
considers how the flood is related typologically to the
creation account, as well as to the crossing of the Red Sea.
Creation - the flood destroys the old world, covers it with
water, dry land comes out of the water again, Noah is the
new Adam, etc. etc.
Red Sea - dry land comes out of the sea (reproducing the
third day of creation), Israel is saved while the Egyptians
drown.

One can also see allusions to the creation and the
deliverance at the Red Sea in Exodus 2:
Exod 2:2 wattere' 'otho kiy +ob hu' (compare to Gen 1:3
etc.)
Exod 2:3 wattasem bassuph (where he was rescued) - compare
to Israel's later deliverance at Yam Suph

Further typological significance can be found by reflecting
on Cassuto's title for Exodus 2 "The Birth of the Savior."

"Past things shed light on future ones; ... what is and what
will be was at some other time; the same things come back
but under different names and colors; not everybody
recognizes them, but only he who is wise considers them
diligently."
Francesco Guiccardini (~1530)

John