b-hebrew - Re[2]: b-hebrew digest: November 18, 1999

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: b-hebrew digest: November 18, 1999
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 16:32:54 -0500

I was one of those who continued the thread allegedly about the dating
of the Pharaohs. But in the context of this list the point (which
admittedly we did not always stick to strictly) was not the dating of
the Pharaohs, it was the dating of the kings etc of Israel and their
possible identification with people mentioned in the Amarna letters.
That is certainly a subject relevant to the interpretation of the
Hebrew Bible.

I think we do need to decide and agree whether this list is for
discussion of the biblical Hebrew language only or for wider
discussion of the Hebrew Bible. In recent months it has become almost
solely the latter, as the great majority of threads have had little to
do directly with the Hebrew language. I am happy with this situation,
but if others are not, maybe we need to reconsider the scope of this
list.

Peter Kirk

=============

Marlon wrote:-

>For example, although I understand that Ian Hutchesson
>rightly became a little ticked off by the fact that Bill Rea gave
the
>irrelevant example of the dating of the Pharaoh's

I used the example of the dating of the Pharaohs as it was a subject
which had recently been discussed. The participants claimed it was
relevant to the list, I believed otherwise. I'm glad you think it's
irrelevant too :-)

Bill Rea, Information Technology Services, University of Canterbury
\_
E-Mail b dot rea at its dot canterbury dot ac dot nz
</ New
Phone 64-3-364-2331, Fax 64-3-364-2332 /)
Zealand
Unix Systems Administrator (/'