b-hebrew - Re: Babylonian Jewry

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Babylonian Jewry
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 14:51:53 +0200

peter_kirk AT sil.org wrote:

> others have recently moved to Israel. Their history is obscure, but
> many people hold that they are descendants of the Babylonian Jews.
> Others have suggested that they are descendants of the lost northern
> tribes,.

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe it was the late Israeli President
Yitzhak
ben Zvi whosuggested, in one of his books, that Jews of Norther Iraq, Iran,
Caucasus,
etc. are descended from the exiles of Northern Israel.
Someone please correct me on this one.
--
Jonathan D. Safren
Dept. of Biblical Studies