b-hebrew - Re: Midrash

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lewis Reich" <lbr AT sprynet.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Midrash
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 18:22:30 -0500

On 21 Nov 99, at 14:29, Jim West wrote:

> This is indeed Midrash. But from Jesus? I dont think we can be too
> certain of that.

It's too bad that when Jesus said "The Sabbath was made for man, and
not man for the Sabbath" (a sentiment not very different from that
expressed by the Pharisees' rabbinic heirs, who ruled that saving a life
justifies, even mandates, violating the Sabbath) he did not cite a Biblical
verse to justify the ruling (or the allusion was not preserved). Otherwise,
we'd have an example of his halachic midrash.

Lewis Reich