b-hebrew - Re: Midrash

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <brocine AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Midrash
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 08:53:54 -0500

Hi Jim,

In a controversy over whether there is afterlife, Jesus
points out the appellation "God of Abraham, Isaac, and
Jacob" and asserts that God is the God of the living not the
dead. Wouldn't His method interpretation here fall under
the general umbrella of midrash?

Shalom,
Bryan

you wrote:
> At 07:41 PM 11/18/99 +1100, you wrote:
> >
> >Please bear with me if my question is a
> >little dumb. Would someone please explain the
> >concept of "midrash"? I would also appreciate
> >a critical response to it with reference as to why it
> >is/is not superior to the historical-grammatical
> >approach to exegesis and why it should/should not
> >be used.
> >
> >Also, is this method truly the method used by Jesus
> >along with the apostles?
>
> Midrash- from the verb darash "to seek" is a method of
rabbinic exposition
> and exegesis which seeks to find the meaning, to the
minutest of details, of
> the text of the bible. as to whether jesus used midrashic
methods it is
> hard to say since we dont have any expositions of texts by
him. that the
> apostles used midrashic method seems as uncertain as well,
since we dont
> have any exegeses by them either. it is, however,
doubtful as none of them
> were trained as rabbis.

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor