b-hebrew - Re: dt 8:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: dt 8:8
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 23:34:24 -0500

If you are interested, I could probably find you a wealth of
information about the use of pomegranates and figs in folk medicine
here in Azerbaijan, some of which may well go back to the folk
medicine of the ancient Near East. Also I read that Pliny the elder
mentioned pomegranates as a universal remedy. No doubt the same
phenomena would be explained by modern medicine in terms of these
fruits being a valuable source of vitamins. But very likely they were
valued simply as tasty fruit. Have you ever eaten fresh pomegranate?
It is a much valued part of my own daily diet at this time of year.

Peter Kirk