b-hebrew - Re: Courtesy

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Hutchesson <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Courtesy
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 23:32:00 +0100

At 15.52 14/11/99 -0500, jharper AT ix.netcom.com wrote:
>If I didn't know better, I'd think there was an epidemic of PMS on this list!
>
>I've been here on and off for almost 3 years, and never have I seen such
disrespect as I have in
>the past few days. Scholarly debate is not facilitated by sarcasm, nor is
it enhanced by insult.
>Argumentum ad hominem, IMHO, has NO place here.
>
>Henry Kissenger once said that the reason why academic disputes are so
vitriolic is precisely
>because the stakes are so small. So, can our disputants please stop
mooning one another and let's
>get on with learning?

I don't know exactly what you are referring to, but, if it is related to
the partly touched on subject of dating of the texts studied by people of
this list, it might be useful to contemplate the significance of a radical
redating of those texts, which seems to me to be a clear implication of the
position that is receiving all the ad hominems.

Cheers,

Ian

  • Courtesy, jharper, 11/14/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Courtesy, Ian Hutchesson, 11/14/1999