b-hebrew - El, god of Israel

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: barre AT access1.com
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>,"hbible" <hbible AT egroups.com>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: El, god of Israel
  • Date: 31 Oct 99 18:01:26 -0800

Dear Members,

Previously here and in an essay posted at my website, I have argued that El
was always the
god of Israel as long as this people existed. El appears as the god of
Israel not only at his
cult sites (Bethel, Penuel, El Berith in Shechem, the altar near Shechem
called "El is the god
of Israel!") but also in the oracles of Balaam, Psalms 29 and 82 and in Deut
32:8-9. To this
evidence I would add the Elohistic Psalter and also these two texts from
Kintullet ajrud:

wb'rh.'l.b . . .

"and in the ways of El . . ."

sm.'l.bym.ml . . .

"the name of El in the days of . . ."

These texts have been confidently dated to the middle of the 8th century,
probably during the
reign of Jeroboam II (c. 783-743). Since it is extremely unlikely that El
would disappear
sometime after Jeroboam II and before the Assyrians conquest of Israel in
722, my claim that
El remained the god of Israel until its destruction is confirmed by these
texts. Yahweh never
eclipsed El as the traditional (reaching back to Aram )and perpetual god of
his people Israel.

L. M. Barre, Ph.D.

barre AT access1.com
www.angelfire.com/ca2/AncientIsrael