b-hebrew - Prepositions with Berakh and Different Types of Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jonathan Bailey <jonathan.bailey AT gmx.de>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew list <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Prepositions with Berakh and Different Types of Hebrew
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 13:55:00 +0200

So you are saying that the factitive nature of the Piel brk would make
berakhtikha
leyhwh mean something like "I put you in a blessed state OF yhwh.", or "I put
you in a
state of being blessed TO yhwh.", both of which one would then render into
acceptable English as "I bless you by yhwh."?

But even if this is the case, my point is less to see the logic of the
construction than
to determine the relationship between biblical and paleo Hebrew. If this is
correct,
then it would mean that the construction made sense in the inscription that I
am
reading, which is not my primary concern. I already do not doubt that the
inscription
makes sense. What I am interested in is if this same speech pattern is to be
found in
the Hebrew bible. I am trying to determine if the differences between paleo
and biblical
Hebrew are more than orthographic.

So here I am looking for precedents within the bible for the same type of
construction.
Preferably with brk, but other verbs which illustrate the same relationship.
Notice that
my analysis above uses the particular qualities of the piel (or hiphil). If
the same sort
of construction (subj, obj, agent with le-) were to be found (with any sort
of
frequency) in kal, I would have to come up with some other analysis.

I am trying to familiarize myself with the paleo-Hebrew inscriptions because
they are
thought to be contemporary to archaic biblical poetry and anacendent to the
classical
biblical prose and poetry by the secular scholarship. More fundamentalistic
types
place all categories (the inscriptions, classical prose, classical poety,
archaic poetry)
within the same timespan, but attribute the differences to literary form,
genre, and
dialect. I am trying to form my own opinion.

I am JUST beginning this study, and am not too familiar with inscriptions or
the
archaic poetry at this point, so please forgive any dumb questions and do not
hesitate
to correct my endeavors. I also do not at this time have the tools at my
disposal to do
this properly (just a bible, lexicons, grammars, and an English search engine
with
Strong's tags at this point, though I am hurredly buying concordances,
specialized
grammars, and Hebrew search tools), so please forgive the simplistic
questions.
Preferably I would like to find someone else on the list with adequate tools
who is also
interested in this sort of thing so we could do a study together and they
would not
mind my badgering.

Jon