b-hebrew - Re[2]: Hebrew & Aramaic Graffiti

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jonathan Bailey <jonathan.bailey AT gmx.de>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew list <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: Hebrew & Aramaic Graffiti
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 00:12:55 +0200

Jack, I am new to epigraphy myself, and all I have thus been able to get my
hands on
at this point is the Fitzmyer/Kaufman bibliography of the older Aramaic
epigraphic
finds, which aims to be a completely exhaustive bibliography, for which there
are, I
believe, quarterly update letters given to subscribers. I am not aware if the
second
volume in the series, which is to cover the Aramaic dialects from 300 BC to
300 AD is
out yet, but if it is, you can bet your graffiti will be there. At least for
the Aramaic side
of the house.

I am taking a class on pre-exilic Hebrew epigraphy being taught by a
professor we
have on loan from the Semitistik Fakultät of the University of Heidelberg,
and this guy
KNOWS HIS LITERATURE. I have class with him tomorrow at 4:15 PM and will ask
for
you.

I do know that there are exhaustive editions of the various epigraphic
materials (not
just bibliographies) available, but you have to be willing to pop out at
least $300 to get
one. You will get your inscriptions as photographs, then printed in
quadratschrift, then
with latin transliteration, though. These tools are what we are using in
class. I will see
if there is anything covering your time period with both languages.

Basically I am saying I should have your info tomorrow.

Jon