b-hebrew - Flesh, Soul & Blood-Gen 9:4

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: nbtp AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Flesh, Soul & Blood-Gen 9:4
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 08:53:16 -0400

Dear friends,

Could you please help me to do the correct translation (from Hebrew) for
Genesis
9:4
Which of the following is right:
1. But you should not eat flesh (meat) with blood which is its soul(life).
2. But you should not eat flesh (meat) with its (life) soul and with its
blood.
If both are incorrect, please send me correct translation for the above verse.

Also I have the following questions regarding this verse:
1. Does this verse means that blood is the soul(life) of flesh(meat), so we
shouldn't eat? or flesh(meat) is not permitted to eat if it's still with
soul(life) and with blood?
2. The Hebrew words (Nafash, Basar & Dam) used for flesh (meat), soul(life) &
blood in this verse is same for human and animal's soul(life),flesh(meat) &
blood or there are different words for all of these?

I heard someone saying that we shouldn't take the blood(blood transfussion)
from
anyone because Bible tells us that blood is soul(life) of flesh(meat) & we
are
not suppose to have it in any condition. He showed the above reference(Gen
9:4)
for that. Do you think this verse really means to say that? or there are
some
other theological reasons that my friend is not aware of?

Thank you to Matthew Anstey, Pere Casanellas & others on the list for their
comments on Hebrew alphabets. It's really helpful.

SHALOM,

Yousaf.