b-hebrew - Re: Hebrew & Sanskrit

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Hebrew & Sanskrit
  • Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 19:37:09 -0400

From "The Writing Systems of the World" by Florian Coulmas (Blackwell,
Oxford 1989) p.181:

"Although the early history of writing in India is still poorly
understood, it is now generally agreed that it can be traced back
eventually to a Semitic source. Opinions vary, however, as to where to
look in the Semitic world for the model of the earliest Indian
script..." (which is dated to the 5th century BCE)

What "commonalities between Christianity and Hinduism/Buddhism"?
(Don't answer that on list! Actually, better treat it as a rhetorical
question showing amazement and disbelief)

Peter Kirk