b-hebrew - Re: Learning to do hebrew exegesis

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT Highland.Net>
  • To: Tony Starks <data7201 AT aol.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Learning to do hebrew exegesis
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 11:24:47 -0400

At 10:44 AM 10/15/99 +0000, you wrote:
>First of all I like to Greet all and thank you for your expert help in
>matters of B-Hebrew.
>After studing hebrew grammar for some time,how do you make the transition
>to Exegesis? Can someone give me the method used in Hebrew Exegesis? That
>is, how would i use the Hebrew Grammar for this purpose? Maybe for
> 1.Bible Study
> 2.Semons etc.
>All help is appreciated.

Heres what I do.

1- Translate the text.
2- Do textual criticism (if there are any variants)
3- Outline the passage
4- Research the historical context (historical criticism)
5- Write down what I see of a theological nature
6- Read the commentaries and essays I have on the passage(to see how far off
base I am! ;-) )
7- Print the passage on a piece of paper (the left half)
8- Write down my observations, comments, and notes on the page (right side
of the paper).

Thats the process I go through.

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
email- jwest AT highland.net
web page- http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

'Mythology is what never was but always is.' Stephen of Byzantium