b-hebrew - constructs and vowel length

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "M. Jean Balcaen" <jbalcaen AT chass.utoronto.ca>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: constructs and vowel length
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 1:13:59

Hi,
Hello! from sunny Toronto. I am a graduate student in the dept. of
Linguistics at the University of Toronto. As my thesis topic, I have
chosen to work on the question of the realationship between peosody,
syntax, and phonology (whew!). Actually, I'm starting with monosyllables
in construct and/or prosodically bound (maqqef) to a following word. A
very odd pattern has emerged - in lexical monsyllables from geminate roots,
[e] and [o] types regularly undergo compensatory lengthening of the vowel
due to degemination of the final radical, subject to a whole variety of
morphological and prosodic conditions. However, [a] type monosyllables
steadfastly follow the syntax - the vowel is short in constructs, long
otherwise, regardless of the prosody. Has anyone else run into this, or
perhaps know of some source where it is discussed? Many thnaks,
JB