b-hebrew - Re: Expository discourse "profile"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <zellmer AT digitelone.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Expository discourse "profile"
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 07:42:18 +0800

Bryan,

I realize that I let a little time pass in responding to you, but I am
surprised that it's two weeks. I hesitated responding immediately
because your post came in during one of my frequent bouts with
headaches. Then, when the headaches subsided, I had a few other
ministry and personal items encroach on my study time (including
recovery from flipping a motorcycle). But please do not interpret my
lack of response as a lack of interest. However, because of the passage
of time, I hope the list members understand my thinking in not snipping
any of your last post. Interested people may need to be reminded
exactly what was said.

I'm not quite sure I concur that Is 44:6-7 is distinct from 8b-ff. It
looks to me like 6-8 is mixed to serve as a transition between the main
purpose of the larger hortatory discourse and the specific purpose of
the expository discourse. The main purpose of the larger hortatory
looks to be part of the development of the thought begun in Is 40, which
runs to the end of the book--comfort for God's people even while they
are still undergoing hard times because of the promise that God would
eventually rescue them. The specific development here is comfort
through the assurance that, despite the severity of the situation, God
was going revive the people to a blessed state. The doubly reinforced
imperative of 8a is not furthering the hortatory; rather, it is echoing
again the imperative of verse 2. And, surrounding 8a is the expository
that there is no other God. It may not make for a nice diagram, but
does the theory not allow for an intermingling of thoughts and types at
transitional boundaries? If it doesn't, then it isn't very realistic.

I agree with your statement, "Once I understand a text, I am not
interested in parsing it any longer (just 'busy work' then). I want a
parse that aids accessing the text, ..." However, in developing these
aids to be used in other texts, sometimes we need to continue parsing
after we understand first text. How else do we see what clues were in
the first text that gave us the understanding that we ended up with?

(I did not intersperse any new thoughts in the quoted text, so those who
recall what was said before need not read on.)

Yours,

Paul