b-hebrew - Re: Stigmata

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: gs02wmr AT panther.Gsu.EDU
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Stigmata
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 10:29:14 -0400

At 08:20 AM 10/13/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Shalom,
>
>Anyone seen the recent movie "Stigmata" - released in the U.S. ?

Yes.

If so,
>did you recognize any of the Aramaic or Hebrew in the movie as
>authentically Biblical or was it Hollywood 'smoke and mirrors' ?

It was, in fact, aramaic. What was interesting to me was the fact that they
used paleohebrew script for the aramaic stuff... pretty cool (they musta had
someone consulting who knew what he was doing).

They said
>it was supposedly from the Gospell of Thomas, but I didn't recognize any
>of the passages they were reading from.

they were indeed all from Thomas. in fact there was a lengthy discussion of
this on the Gospel of Thomas list.

>Shalom
>
>Wondell M. Rachman

Best,

Jim
Jim West, ThD
email- jwest AT highland.net
web page- http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

'Mythology is what never was but always is.' Stephen of Byzantium