b-hebrew - Re[2]: b-hebrew digest: September 27, 1999

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: b-hebrew digest: September 27, 1999
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 12:29:54 -0400

I think this simply illustrates how difficult it is to find a single
English translation which is acceptable in all dialects of English
spoken all over the world. This is especially so if we are looking for
colloquial expressions. So for example the NIV translators were
probably wise to stick to the rather neutral "girl" here as at least
it doesn't bring in inappropriate connotations for anyone, as far as I
know.

Peter Kirk

PS I take Bill's point about Egyptian history. But this whole debate
is actually very important for studying the Hebrew Bible, as if Rohl's
correspondences are correct that has very significant implications for
the interpretation of Samuel and Kings, also to some extent Genesis,
Exodus and Joshua. But I'll try to avoid going too far away from the
Hebrew material.