b-hebrew - Re: b-hebrew digest: September 27, 1999

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Will Wagers <hyle AT airmail.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: b-hebrew digest: September 27, 1999
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 18:58:30 -0500

Bill Rea writes:

Will Wagers wrote:-

>How about *bitch* as used in the vernacular of young Afro-Americans?

In this country "bitch" is used to denote a women who is a trouble maker,
difficult to get along with, and the like. This doesn't reflect the
meaning in Judges. There are various crude terms which probably would
be better, but we should not use one which in anyway expresses the
idea that the victims are in some ways themselves immoral.

Here, Afro-Americans use this apparently derogatory word as a common
term for *woman* or *girl*. They call male friends--*dogs*. So, I don't
think your analysis applies.

Will Wagers hyle AT airmail.net "Reality is the best metaphor."