b-hebrew - Re[6]: Rohl (Peter)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[6]: Rohl (Peter)
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 19:59:50 -0400

Thanks for this one. I think Rohl did spot this one, though he doesn't
make it explicit. He writes:

"When we look at the Assyrian King List we see that the father of
Ashur-uballit is given as Eriba-Adad whereas the Amarna Ashuruballit
has a father called Ashur-nadin-ahhe. Now it is accepted that the term
'father' can have the meaning ancestor, but as D.D. Luckenhall notes
'even so our difficulties are not all cleared up. In the texts...
Ashuruballit does not include Ashur-nadin-ahhe among his ancestors,
although he carries his line back six generations.'"

Peter Kirk