b-hebrew - Re[2]: Rohl (Dave)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: Rohl (Dave)
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 12:30:50 -0400

Dear Ian,

This article on the web gives a good summary of Rohl's book, and some
detail on some points. However, because of its size it necessarily
omits much of Rohl's data and detailed arguments, including the
answers to many of the questions you have been asking Dave and me over
the last few days.

I was glad to see the Postscript as this answers for me many of the
questions I had after reading the article "Pharaohs and Kings
Confused" at http://www.christiananswers.net/abr/scoop.html, which was
pointed out to me off-list. In relation to that article, I think that
Prof. Kitchen was right to be upset at how he was treated by the TV
producers, but this was probably not Rohl's fault at all. The article
you mention is fairer than "Pharaohs and Kings Confused" in that it
allowed Rohl to respond to Kitchen's "new" evidence (if Rohl was
unaware of this - why? Was it unpublished? Or newly discovered? Why
hadn't Kitchen brought it to Rohl's attention earlier?), including his
"one totally damning little text" for which Rohl has a quite different
explanation - which I would like to see in detail.

Peter Kirk