b-hebrew - Re: Rohl (Dave)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Rohl (Dave)
  • Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 20:38:54 -0700

> >Ian, I never said a word about Rameses II. You're the one who
> >keeps bringing him up. If you had bothered to read my original
> >post on this topic, you would have seen that I specifically said I
> >wasn't sure about some of his treatments of individual persons, but
> >that I thought he made his case for the need to restructure the
> >Third Intermediate Period.
>
> Dave,
>
> I'm now quite at a loss to understand what it is exactly about Rohl's work
> on the restructuring of the Third Intermediate Period that remains for you
> to give as noteworthy. You seem to have discarded more than anyone I've
> come across who is willing to speak about the stuff, so much so that it is
> totally unclear what you actually do support and your further posts have
> not clarified the situation at all, merely saying what it is you don't like
> or don't support or didn't say, what made you laugh, what made you tired,
> but absolutely nothing of any substance.

Ian, I have no idea what you're actually reading but it's clear you're
not reading my posts. I haven't said that I discarded anything.
This is ridiculous. You reject Rohl without even reading him (and
then have the brass to accuse me of depending on secondary
sources!), you put words in my mouth that I never even implied,
you have your mind made up and really don't care to cloud it by
actually investigating the situation. You complain that I keep falling
back on "Read the book." Yes I do, and I make no apologies for it.
If you haven't actually seen what he says, you have no idea what
you're talking about. If you don't even bother to read the material
that you are fussing about so much, why should anybody take you
seriously? You don't have any idea what the arguments are for the
proposed restructuring of the Third Intermediate Period, and you
don't want to know because you might actually have to rethink
some things and you don't want to do that. You complain that I
don't "say anything of substance," but the fact is that you would be
unable to discuss anything of substance because you haven't even
bothered to look at the material. You're trying to stack the deck,
Ian. You want to be able to discuss what you consider of
substance, but you don't want to deal with the actual evidence
because you won't go read it. You called my comment about
intellectual honesty ad hominem, but the truth is that this is what
is required in this situation because you refuse to level the playing
field by taking an honest look at the actual source of the
discussion. If that's ad hominem, so be it. This will be my last
response to you on this subject, because I think it's clear from
other responses that all can see how absurd your position is.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
"Ich veranlassenarbeitenworken mein Mojo."