b-hebrew - Re: JER 27:18

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: JER 27:18
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 19:13:33 -0700

Rolf,
> Dear list-members,
>
> The RSV rendering of the verse is: "If they are prophets, and if the word
> of the LORD is with them, then let them intercede (YIQTOL jussive) with the
> LORD of hosts, that the vessels which are left in the house of the LORD, in
> the house of the king of Judah, and in Jerusalem may not go (QATAL) to
> Babylon."
>
> Is the reference time of the QATAL after speech time (=future), and is the
> verb modal? Or is it past indicative, as those sticking to traditional
> grammar would expect of a QATAL?

In my approach, which is an amalgam of my own ideas and Galia
Hatav's, qatal is indicative with a syntactic connection to what
precedes. In this case it looks like result: "Let them
intercede...so that the vessels will not depart..." The problem is the
preceding word, L:BIL:TIY, "lest." This word with an indicative is an
oddity that even the manuscripts noticed, since BHS suggests
following the minority mss and reading YFBOW)U. How many
other examples of a qatal after L:BIL:TIY do you know of? I lean
toward the yiqtol reading, though I wouldn't go to the stake for it.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
"Ich veranlassenarbeitenworken mein Mojo."