b-hebrew - Jer 15:6-9

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Jer 15:6-9
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 19:21:00 +0200

Dear list-members,

In the mentioned verses I count 12 QATALs, 1 WEQATAL and 3 WAYYIQTOLs. I
cannot find any clue in the context suggesting that the events mantioned by
the prophet is past; i.e. that reference time comes before speech time.
However, I find many clues that they are future; i. e. reference time comes
after speech time. How would the particular model for Hebrew verbs that you
believe in, direct you in the translation of these verses? In other words,
how would you translate the verses?

Regards
Rolf

Rolf Furuli