b-hebrew - Re: Distinguishing jussives from imperfects

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <zellmer AT digitelone.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Distinguishing jussives from imperfects
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 08:33:54 +0800

Gday, Matthew,

I just posed your question to the first year Hebrew class that I teach.
The result of our investigation shows that this would have to be a
jussive, it cannot be a simple indicative.

You cannot determine this simply by a word level analysis. You need at
least a clause level analysis to see that you are dealing with a clause
initial yiqtol (with no waw). Had the indicative been meant in this
narrative passage, the harvesters would have either used a weqatal, or
put YHWH before the yiqtol.

HTH,

Paul